Notes : Technology & Courage
I reread ‘Technology and Courage’ [pdf] last Thursday, making effective use of the time waiting to go to my weekly motorcycle meet. I took notes this time. By the way, I had an awesome time at the meet, at Pike Place Brewery. The Kilt Lifters did live up to their name.
These notes were a result of liberal paraphrasing… So read the original for accuracy.
- It is all about courage. We almost never look at it like that.
- Do warm up projects. IMPORTANT
- Identify your failures of courage. This is difficult as it comes well disguised.
- “I am too busy with a more important task”
- “No one will be interested in my work”
- “Can’t show. It is not quite done yet”
- “I have to analyze this further”
- “Let us be just reasonable here”
- Long vacation / Sabbatical is great for good work because:
- Change of location
- Lack of distractions
- Harness pride.
- Anglo-Saxon names for things stick, more than Roman names <==
- If you use parenthesis in writing, either you are too lazy or your thoughts are still muddled.
- Blogging is good. Ivan called it “display file”. It gives you an informal start, which is important.
- Have courage to abandon unsuccessful projects.
- We have a finite reserve of courage. Use it well.
- He has more tricks to bolster courage.Device some of your own.